For admission to WAHAH Transitional Shelter for Homeless Families

For referrals

1. How to refer client to our shelter?

Fill in our WAHAH INTAKE ASSESSMENT FORM, attach it with a brief social report and email it to syazwani@justparenting.org.sg and arina@justparenting.org.sg.

2. Expected waiting time?

Depending on our assessment panel; it may take up to 3-5 working days.

3. How to know result of the assessment?

Subject to availability, interview appointments will be arranged with the Client by the Shelter Manager. Upon successful completion of the  interview and having assessed the client’s needs, the Shelter Manager will forward a  Case Update to the respective Case worker / case manager to inform them of the outcome.

For individuals

1. How does a person get to be admitted to the shelter?

We do not take walk-in cases. All cases have to be referred. The rationale is that a person coming to us would have comprehensive needs. WAHAH would not be able to meet all needs but with the help of the referral agencies we could help the clients better.

2. How long can a family stay in the shelter?

Family shelter: Up to 6 months
When the resident is admitted, WAHAH will work closely with clients and their main case manager (referring agencies) on their care and discharge plans which include long-term accommodation.

3. What are the eligibility criteria for admission to the shelter?

Criteria for admission to Shelter for Displaced Families:
The applicant:


  1. is a Singapore Citizen or Singapore Permanent Resident;
  2. is rendered homeless with financial difficulty and in crisis;
  3. has explored other options with family and friends but to no avail;
  4. is not suffering from serious psychiatric disorders and/or serious behavioural problems that require close individual supervision or nursing care; and
  5. and family are motivated to be self-reliant and improve their situation and sign a social contract to indicate that they are committed to this.
  6. is not eligible if he/she is allocated a room in the Interim Rental Housing Scheme.

Besides these main criteria, referrals have to be assessed as suitable by our internal intake assessment panel. For the Shelter for Homeless Families, priority would be given to intact family with children under the age of 16.

4. I am a single mother/father, do I qualify?

Yes, we do accept single mother or father as long as they have children of school going age.

5. Is your shelter for Malay/Muslim families only?

No. We are secular. We welcome anyone in need regardless of race and religion.


6. What about individual men/women? Can you help me?


As Wahah caters solely to homeless families, we will help in referring individual men/women to other shelters that provides this service.

Alternatively,you may wish to go to New Hope Community Services  (http://www.newhopecs.org.sg/content.php?id=22 ) for their Men-in-Crisis shelter.

And also women’s shelter that are run by these good organisations;

Good Shepherd Sisters, the Anglican Mission and the Singapore Council of Women’s Organisations (SCWO).

7. How soon after a referral is received would a client be admitted to the shelter?

We cannot say how soon after a referral a client may be admitted to the shelters. Because we are a shelter and residents are constantly being admitted and discharged, the duration from referral to admission varies.

8. Do I have to pay to stay in the shelter?

All shelters in Singapore do charge a fee including WAHAH. This is to teach residents to be responsible and self-reliant. This is a way to help them to re-integrate back to the society. Waiver or subsidy is an exception rather than a rule. Payment is a condition for their continued stay in the shelters.

9. What about utilities?

Shelter fee includes utilities charges.  We put a cap of $100 respectively. If a unit consumes more than that, the remaining amount will be divided equally to families living in that particular unit.

10. What are the terms and conditions for staying in the shelter? What are the shelter rules and regulations?

The Terms & Conditions would be discussed at length during the Intake Assessment and all referrals have to give their commitment to the Terms & Conditions before admission to the shelters.

11. If after 3 months I am unable to find an alternative living arrangement for my family, can I apply for an extension of stay in the shelter? Why is a particular person able to stay for 12 months while I can only stay for 3 months?

Every case is different as their needs, circumstances for being referred and the solutions available are all unique to the individual case. As such, extensions can be done only on a case-by-case’ and a ‘month-by-month’ basis. All extensions are granted at the sole discretion of the Intake & Discharge Committee and are final and non-negotiable.

12. What if I don’t move out from the shelter?

We will enforce our discharge with the assistance of various authorities (including police force), if necessary. Discharged residents may re-apply but would be given low priority.

13. Is food ration provided?

We do not provide food ration, however, occasionally when we do receive generous donations from members of the public, we will distribute a one time off food ration to all residents.

14. Are the units in the shelter furnished? What are the items provided at the shelter?

All units under Wahah are kept empty to provide enough space for residents to place their necessary items and furniture that are not bulky. At some point of time, whenever Wahah do receive good and free furniture from one of our dedicated sponsors Hock Siong & Co Pte Ltd, and also members of the public, we will place it according to the needs of residents in a unit.

15. Can I bring my personal effects e.g. a computer into the shelter?

No bulky item (cupboard, tables, etc) can be brought to the shelters. You can bring in personal computers to the Shelter for Displaced Families, but a fee will be charged. The fee will be discussed during the Intake Assessment.

16. Does WAHAH provide financial assistance? Job placement? Alternative accommodation?

We help in the tie-ups with other various social service agencies for financial assistance, job placement or alternative accommodation. Our main focus is in assisting the client to explore and plan for long-term/permanent housing solutions. Employers sometimes refer jobs for our residents; as and when we have such information and/or requests, we make them known to our residents.

17. What if residents have conflicts?

Residents should try to solve their own conflicts. Mediation should only be a last resort when problems or conflicts cannot be solved amicably between the parties involved.