In the recent weeks, the Pollutant Standards Index (PSI) levels have risen above normal. We would like to urge all member VWOs to stay updated on the latest haze conditions. You may wish to access the haze microsite set up by the National Environment Agency (NEA) at http://www.haze.gov.sg/ to obtain regular updates.
2 During the haze period, NEA also issues daily air quality forecast. The forecast for the next 24 hours is issued around 6 pm daily on the microsite. You could use the air quality forecast to plan your agency’s daily activities.
3 In general, the health impact of haze is dependent on one’s health status (e.g. whether one has pre-existing chronic heart or lung disease), the PSI level, and the duration and intensity of outdoor activity. Reducing outdoor activities and physical exertion can help limit the ill effects from haze exposure. If your agency serves vulnerable clients, such as the young and the elderly, please exercise vigilance to help them cope with the changes in the haze conditions. We have also attended the ‘PSI Handy Guide’ as an additional resource for you to plan the activities for your clients.
ComChest Haze Fund
4 To help member VWOs put in place measures to deal with the haze situation, NCSS has set up the ComChest Haze Fund, a one-time grant which can be used to buy items such as masks, portable fans, air purifiers or portable air conditioners to protect your clients.
Eligibility and Grant Amount
- ComChest Haze Fund is open only to programmmes serving vulnerable elderly and/or children, which provide essential services that will need to continue under severe haze situation, and are NOT receiving funding from the Ministry of Social and Family Development, Ministry of Health or Ministry of Education.
- Each eligible programme will be given a one-time grant of $1,000.
Fund Application and Closing Date
iii. Application can be made using the Funding Application Form attached. NCSS would consider each application on a case-by-case basis, based on your clients’ needs and justification(s).
- If your VWO have multiple eligible programmes, you could submit your application using a single form.
- The closing date for application is 21 September 2015.
- For further enquiries, please contact Ms Elaine Chung from the Fund Allocation Team at DID: 6210 6692 or email her at Elaine_CHUNG@ncss.gov.sg.